“I’m not quite ready for a no makeup movie”, Tea Leoni once said and I do have to agree. As I love makeup, I often pay close attention to the makeup used in movies. So I decided to make a list of my favorite movie makeup looks… for inspiration and fun. Enjoy!
1. January Jones as Betty Draper in Mad Men (2007 – 2015)
I love Betty Draper’s polished look. She is always perfectly put together and is a classic beauty. Her look is simple yet has a playful twist like bright lipstick and bright nails or a more funky sixties hairdo.
2. Julianne Moore as Charley in a Single Man (2009)
The moment you’ve caught a glimpse of Julianne Moore’s makeup, you just can NOT doubt this film is set in the 60s. Her eyeliner is so on point and that pink cigarette… just to die for!
3. Sienna Miller as Edie Sedgwick in Factory Girl (2006)
It is all about the eyes in this movie. Sienna Miller pulls off an old school style of the smokey eye. The effect is dramatic and gorgeous!
4. Sofia Boutella as Jaylah in Star Trek: Beyond (2016)
Sofia Boutella is absolutely unrecognizable in this movie. Not exactly an everyday makeup look but it is good and… so fierce!
5. Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
Again an elegant look that defines the 60s. A doe-eyed look, nude lips and lots of mascara make Audrey Hepburn look beautiful and flirty!
6. Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra in Cleopatra (1963)
The makeup may not be historically accurate (I mean: blue sparkling eye shadow?!) but it sure is jaw-dropping and of course Elizabeth Taylor can pull it off!
7. Liza Minelli as Sally Bowles in Cabarat (1972)
Liza Minelli is working those lashes in this movie and her nails are also really on fleek! Oh and by the way, Joel Grey’s makeup also deserves to be mentioned. That is some blush!
8. Angelica Huston as Morticia Addams in The Addams Family (1991)
With Halloween around the corner, this look might be a good inspiration for your Halloween look this year. Scary meets elegant!
9. Traci Lords as Wanda Woodward in Cry-Baby (1990)
If you don’t quite know how to pout I suggest you watch Cry-Baby and focus on Traci Lords because those red lips are hard to miss! This movie also gives you the great opportunity to see a young Johnny Depp pulling off a biker look.
10. Ali MacGraw as Jenny in Love Story (1970)
I am finishing this list with a more natural look. Ali MacGraw has the perfect no makeup makeup look in this movie, looking sweet and innocent.